2009-01-12

A Girl and Her Cats

I am home today and watching the View. I caught the clip of Mickey Rourke and his acceptance speech where he said he would like to thank his dogs, those who were here and those who were no longer with him because at times when he was all alone all he had was his dog. It was touching. I had seen him on David Letterman a few weeks ago, I am a huge Letterman fan, and felt so good to see a come back kid. Good for him. :)

But his dogs, my cats. I know how he feels. I have been through a fair bit, and felt the sting of being kicked when you are down and are struggling. I have always kept an outward positive attitude with a 'keep smiling and go forward, don't bore people with your woes' attitude, but often on the inside though I wasn't always smiling. I have wonderful friends and family but..and a huge BUT...sometimes when you are all alone (as opposed to being lonely, there is a difference) and everything is collapsing, all you have are your cats. I have my little fur friends, my companions with their sweet faces, complete acceptance, unconditional love..they were and are always there.

I will never forget them will be eternally grateful. When I had them I made a commitment to them that this was their home also, their forever home. Where I go, they go!

So Mickey Rourke, I know EXACTLY how you feel.

Thank you

4 comments:

  1. Oh Deb...I could not have said it any better. My Ozzie was there for me in a very rough time when I was all alone. They are wonderful faithful friends who are always glad to see me come in the door. They are a part of my family and are dearly loved! So I understand completely!! Hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. anyone who does not like pets has never felt the unconditional love one can give. I miss my Tootsie and Niffer. They were my first babies (cats) who I rescued....they lived each 15 years until I had to have them put down...one had renal failure and the other pancreas cancer. Those were the worst days of my life so far....and I miss them still

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had three cats at one time, during a time my children were growing up. My little tabby Cleo, was with me for 15yrs., and I still feel her loss. She had the ability to make me feel better, by just being around. She slept in the crook of my arm, those entire 15 yrs., each night. Now the kids are grown, the cats all dead, and we have 2 corgis. I dreamed of corgis for 10 years before ever owning one. A dream come true! They fill the void that the grown up kids, and the dead cats made. THANK GOD for Furkids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deb...you are so right. They truly love us as we are. We can always count on them. You said it perfectly! Thanks for a wonderful post...so nice to know others feel the way I do! :-) Susan

    ReplyDelete

I *heart* all your comments.
Cheers, Deb