2009-07-04

Pavlova ~Great Dessert for berry Season!



I decided to make a pavlova. I love meringue and adding whipped cream and berries makes a great dessert to serve when you havecompany. If there are any leftovers, they won't last long.

This was my first attempt and I have always had to fuss with meringue, but I like to use eggs at room temperature and make sure the mixing bowl and beaters are clean and chilled - I pop them in the freezer for 15 - 20 minutes. Since I have moved and downsized, I have very little room and can't find have my cooking and baking items, so I improvised. I felt like my Grandma, no fuss no muss style baking.

I used 4 egg whites, 1 cup of sugar, 1/2 tsp vinegar and 1/2 tsp of vanilla.

I carefully cracked the eggs and put the whites into a glass bowl. I used a 2 qt pyrex bowl. Slowly add the sugar and beat at a high speed until the meringue becomes stiff and peaks.

 



I continued to beat and slowly add the sugar.
 


 



It is starting to form and make peaks.
 


Pour the meringue onto parchment paper on a cookie sheet and use a spatula to make a pillbox shape. I take the spatula and try to make an upward 'swoop' and try to make it peak.



 



Place it into a 250 degree F oven and bake for 90 minutes. (1 1/2 hrs)
 


I looked in to see it turn a light golden colour.

 



After baking for 90 minutes, turn off the oven and let sit in the oven with the door open - until it is coolled down.
 


The centre of the meringue should have some slight cracking and begin to settle, underneath the top it should have a marshmallow consistency. Let sit until you are ready to serve. This one has a slight tilt to it, but the whipped cream and berries can cover that :)



When you are ready to serve, add whipped cream into the middle of the meringue and then add berries. I used fresh picked local strawberries and some blackberries. You can garnish with whatever you choose but I prefer the berries.

Enjoy.


8 comments:

  1. Looks great Deb! And I love your new blog background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deb...I've never seen one of these...pretty awesome looking! I LOVE meringue so this has to be good! :-) Thanks for sharing the recipe! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Ladies. it is very yummy and you can serve it and 'fancy' it up a bit to make it look extra delicious :)

    Yes Jacki, I like the dragonfly look for summer.
    So many great templates, so few blogs ;)

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Deb! I am not familiar with this dessert! It looks fabulous and I love merengue! I will have to work up some courage to try this one. I'm not much of a cook anymore. Thanks for the birthday wishes for all of us Americans! You're a sweeetie! Have a great week!...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you're saving some for me. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks yummy. Thanks for the follow Deb!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Deb, I got rid of Mozilla, and can finally comment again!
    Just saw the Barefoot Contessa make this on television...yours looks just as delish as hers!
    Bet this is a real summery treat.
    Hope all is well your way, uppa there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Deb,

    I am so glad I found this post. I've become more and more interested in trying my hand at kitchen creativity and this is going into my book of food projects. This is definitely a goodie to post when completed.

    Thanks
    Annie

    ReplyDelete

I *heart* all your comments.
Cheers, Deb