2009-07-02

Shop Locally.. Off to the Local Market on the Harbour

I shop locally. We buy fruit and veggies in season from our local farmers. This area has also become home to many artisans many who are moving to this area - Southern Georgian Bay and Huronia.

My community is a small township about 150 kms/90 miles north of Toronto. We are rural, even for a beach community, and have a small village and a couple of towns nearby. Penetanguishene has about 8,000 and is located on a beautiful harbour. It was settled by the English, French and First nations. There are French schools, French Catholic schools (In Ontario we have a public board, Catholic board, publicly funded AND the French boards) Penetang also has a Protestant Separate School (a separate board as well.There are signs for l'église,les cimetières and caisse populaire (Credit unions). You can also find wonderful poutine in the area, the best you will find outside of Quebec.

The local farmers' market now has their weekly market on the harbour. MMMMM. Fresh produce, local crafts, maple syrup, and local meat from the farm! Great! I went there on the weekend and although there were only a few vendors - it was raining and the strawberries aren't even available here yet :( - it was such a treat. I can just see the fruits and veggies becoming available throughout the season.



I had to visit the Dock Lunch for a foot long hot dog! Yummy! They have been there since `1955 and are famous for their foot longs, souvlaki and of course poutine. You can enjoy your food while watching the boats. The Georgian Queen was boarding, even in the rain, for the cruise.


We have some wonderful markets in the area - but this is a great one for North Simcoe County and in a perfect location!


Photobucket



No comments:

Post a Comment

I *heart* all your comments.
Cheers, Deb